The focus of our efforts are on ensuring that we make a lasting impact; every investment we make today bears the future in mind. To ensure the highest level of effectiveness, we’ve designed a full set of services that cover the highest areas of need in serving East Africa’s blind children. The cornerstones of our activities are:
- Brailler Repair Program
- Providing new Braille machines
- University Brailler Loaner Program
- Teacher Training
Testimonial for KBT’s efforts:
From Sister Agwang Winifred Mary, Head Teacher
St. Francis Secondary School for the Blind
As a result of the Perkins Braillers, “the academic performance of our students is becoming better:
- In 2009 seven students sat for Advanced National Examination five passed each with at least 2 principles they were admitted to Public Universities on Government sponsorship and one to tertiary institution.
- In 2010 eight students sat for the same examination five more have been to public universities on Government sponsorship, one to the Primary teachers college and two have gone for other courses.
- In 2011 we had thirteen students in S.4 and twelve are braille users.
The students are very grateful that they have been empowered by having access to functioning braille machines making learning possible.”